Sunday, September 6, 2009

Big Fancy Craft Day


I saw an adorable scarf at Urban Outfitters last week and totally wanted it. But it was just some jersey and some random chains, so I thought it would be pretty easy just to make one! So Laura and Aziza came over, and we had a big ol' craft day.

All you need is an old t-shirt, some chain (either buy it at a craft store or use an old necklace) an exacto knife and something to cut on. Maybe a ruler if you're into exactness. The original scarf was just a really big circle, but we didn't want to have to sew, so we just cut the shirt horizontally into rings and then tied them together.

Cut the shirt into rings the width you want:


Slice the shirt at equal intervals all the way around, so it looks kind of like a ladder:



Hack up your necklace/chain. We just poked one loop through on each side, in between the t-shirt strips:







Then we stacked 3-4 of the cut-up rings on each other, tied at the back with a piece of t-shirt and... ta-da!


They turned out pretty cute. Now we just have to make sure we don't all wear them somewhere at once.

3 comments:

A Bunch of Paynes said...

So cute! Great idea, I'll have to try it...

Strand Family said...

Oh, I like it! I might have to try this.
By the way I love your new look on your blog!

Ashley said...

Come on, I love that. And Laura looks great!!